Stuffed1 12-ounce package fresh blueberries
½ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup cranberry juice
½ teaspoon allspice or pumpkin pie spice
Biscuit1½ cups whole wheat white flour
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1½ cups nonfat Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup canola oil
1½ cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 medium but firm apple or pear, crumbled
¾ cup of chopped toasted walnuts
½ cup caster sugar
1-2 tablespoons of water
Preparation- To make the filling: combine the blueberries, brown sugar, juice, and allspice (or pumpkin pie spice) in a small non-reactive saucepan (see Suggestions). Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar melts. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until most of the blueberries have popped, 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Coat the cake pan with cooking spray..
- To make cake: whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Combine the yogurt and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Beat the butter, oil and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until just incorporated. Scrape down the sides. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the yogurt mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and beating on low speed until incorporated after each addition, scraping down the sides as needed. Add apple (or pear) and walnuts.
- Put half of the mixture in the prepared pan. Scoop the filling on top of the mixture, leaving a small edge of the mixture on both sides. Cover with the remaining batter and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and the center, then turn on a wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- To prepare the frosting: place the confection sugar in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of water and stir until smooth. Add more water as needed to achieve a thick frosting consistency. Paint the frosting over the cooled cake with a pastry brush.
* Advance Tip: Tightly wrap unglazed cold cake and keep at room temperature for up to 1 day. Glaze before serving.